Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:10:24 -0600
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SNMP on FreeBSD

Joe
	I would encourage you to look at /usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp for snmp
software. I would think that with a little research and
/usr/ports/net/mrtg you could probably monitor just about aspect of
anything under the sun that speaks snmp. Its my understanding that with
a little perl, mrtg will monitor just about anything, even if it doesn't
speak snmp.

Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In an effort to avoid costs and make additional use of
> my PC running FreeBSD 3.4 at work, my manager would
> like me to install some kind of Network Management
> software so that we can monitor a big Exide Powerware
> UPS in our data center.
>
> It's my understanding that the first step is to have SNMP
> running on my FreeBSD system.  Is there a port or
> package I could load to get this going?  Is it even possible
> to get SNMP running on 3.4?
>
> As for the Network Management software, I went to:
>
> http://www.powerware.com/products/Software/Onlinet/unixc41.asp
>
> ...and they offer several versions of their Onlinet software for
> UNIX systems but no mention of *BSD.  Could I download
> the one for Linux 2.0 and run it under Linux emulation?
>
> I like to be able to get this to work on my FreeBSD system, rather
> than having to purchase third party software to get to run on
> WIN NT.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

Drew Sanford