Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:41:42 -0700
From:      "Don Sutter" <drs@hevanet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IP Aliasing and FreeBSD 4.1.1

I am running a private network (192.168.x.x) and recently
added a high speed ethernet internet connection on a static
public IP address.  I would like to set up IP Aliasing (so
all my private machines can access the internet) and setup
firewall protection for my private network.  I bought a
Version 4 FreeBSD Power Pak and discovered that it contained
a 3rd Edition "Complete FreeBSD" book.  A also downloaded
and installed the latest FreeBSD 4.1.1 in a multi homed
machine and I downloaded and printed the latest FreeBSD
Handbook.

I figured out how to re-compile the kernel with "options
IPFIREWALL", "options IPDIVERT" and even figured out how to
get my sound card working but the description of rc.firewall
in my Version 3 Complete FreeBSD book looks quite different
than /etc/rc.firewall on my system.  I thought I'd start by
adding the three lines at the top of page 507 to my
rc.firewall file but now I'm not sure of where to put them.

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

I use ed0 instead of tun0 as used in the book.

Am I looking at the wrong manual?  Did rc.firewall change
between BSDi v3 and 4.  Allowing private network machines to
access the internet via IP Aliasing and a multi-homes BSDi
box sounds simple enough.  Perhaps someone out there could
point me in the right direction...

Thanks

Don