Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:14:42 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <pjklist@ekahuna.com>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Better printing from the command-line

A quick and easy way is to define multiple printcap entries that set the
printer to do what you want.

For example, suppose that "lp" is connected to the HP.  Add definitions
for "lp-raw" (unadulterated) or "lp-land"  (landscape) or "lp-132" for
132-column printing, etc. etc.  When each definition is selected by
the program (usually lp -P lp-raw or some such) the associated filter
adds in the commands to switch on the special features before the job
prints and trails them with the code to switch the printer back to
normal mode.