Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 22:52:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@dorm-36314.rh.uh.edu>
To:        "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@eris.quintessential.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

[snip]
> booted off of CD-R with Walnut Creek 3.0 CD # 1 in it on some tries, off of
> a 2.2.6 and 2.2.8 floppy disk on other tries
Attempts to install 3.1 and above off of a lower version's install media
is probably a bad idea.  I see what the problem is and will point it out
below.
[snip]
> the error message occurs upon boot after "successful" installation of the
> OS. the system gets as far as where it says
>
> boot:
>
> and pauses before loading the kernel. when it tries to load the kernel, the
> error message is
>
> "invalid format!"
>
> and then the same "boot:" message is displayed again, and the same thing
> repeats every few seconds. when we typs "?" for a directory, we find the
> kernel, kernel.GENERIC and all the other normal stuff, but it won't bloody
> well load!
You are getting the error message because the FreeBSD bootstrap that
produces the boot: message like that only works on a.out kernels. The ELF
loader looks markedly different, providing you with an option to hit space
to get to a prompt, hit enter to boot immediately, or leave it alone and
it will boot after 10 seconds.  I guess the problem is that the
installation medium (floppy or cdrom) installs whatever copy of the loader
it has on it and not from the ftp site.  At any rate, 3.0 worked because
it still has a a.out kernel.  Your options as I see them are to upgrade vi
CVS and then a make upgrade, or else to reinstall using the 3.1 CDs or
using the 3.1 install disk.
[rest snipped]

Jonathan Fosburgh
Geotechnician