Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:32:55 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <manolis@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trever <anti_spamsys@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad source in the distro iso's

Trever wrote:
> I noticed in 7.2 that the /usr/src installed from the ISO downloads would not build without first sup'ing for a few updates.  (disc1.iso's)
>
> I notice in the 8.0RC2&3 that some of the source files are corrupted.
>
> Not a media issue, checksum's have always been confirmed good.
>
> Is this normal, for the packaged source to be "bad"?
>
> One of the nice things about BSD is that it comes with everything to build itself, but if the source won't build without first updating...
>
> Just curious.
>
> Trever

There must be something wrong at your end.
I routinely run make buildworld / make release using -RELEASE sources
and never had any problems.
Are you sure you are installing *all* the sources, both kernel and world?
It could be that something goes wrong during decompression, though I
suspect this would happen to other files as well leading to a
non-working system.