Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:30:03 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   VIA EPIA-M10000 board "just works" with FreeBSD 4.8

  For anyone who's interested, I've been running FreeBSD 4.8 on the
EPIA-10000M mini-ITX for at least a couple months now; it's available
for as little as $160 with CPU + motherboard + case + p/s bought
integrated as the FIC Falcon CR53, and there's a surprising amount of
I/O integrated onboard.  For anybody who's looking to build cheap but
reasonably powerful servers or desktop machines, this looks like a
winner.

  I haven't run any real benchmarks, but in terms of "feel" it might be
equivalent to maybe a 500-600MHz PIII.  The total server parts list ran
about $350 with shipping, including 7200rpm IDE drive and a 2nd 100BT
card (Linksys LNE100TX.) I haven't tried X or the sound capabilities so
I'm not sure how suitable it would be for a desktop; I also haven't
tested whether the IEEE-1394 would work under FreeBSD.  For a low-end
server, though, it's pretty nice, and moderately quiet too.

  The motherboard includes integrated CPU, 1 DDR slot, 4 USB, 2 serial,
1 parallel I/O, 2 IEEE-1394, floppy port, dual IDE, SVGA out + SVHS TV
out, 10/100 LAN, and 1 PCI.  The IDE interface works at ATA133 under
FreeBSD 4.8; the VIA/Realtek ethernet is recognized as vr0.  The CPU
integrated on the motherboard is a 1GHz VIA C3, an IDT descendant - the
newer "Nehemiah" core which is claimed to have better instructions per
clock than the older VIA cores.

  Matt Dillon posted about the earlier EPIA boards a while back, so I
thought I'd add a note that this one also works well.

  -- Clifton, not a VIA salesrep

--
     Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net

Did you ever fly a kite in bed?  Did you ever walk with ten cats on your head?
  Did you ever milk this kind of cow?  Well we can do it.  We know how.
If you never did, you should.  These things are fun, and fun is good.
                                                                 -- Dr. Seuss