Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:54:27 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samsung SPF-800P supported by FreeBSD?

Oliver,

>  > yes, sorry. i meant obexapp :) obexapp is known to work with various
>  > mobile phones (and other devices) that implement opp (obex push
>  > profile) and oftp (obex file transfer profile). it is likely that you,
>  > or someone you know, own such a mobile phone, and, you can always try
>  > obexapp against it to see what it does and how it works.
>
> Well, even if it works with a mobile phone, that doesn't
> guarantee that it would work with such a photo frame.

well, nothing will give you an absolute guarantee :) but, that is what
bluetooth qualification is supposed to be for :) if a product has
bluetooth logo on it then it must have passed bluetooth qualification
tests.

> In fact, the bluetooth function of that photo frame is
> intended so you can upload pictures from a mobile phone
> to the frame (not from a PC, AFAIK).  Can FreeBSD with
> obexapp act like a mobile phone?

it does not matter, really. obex push/file transfer is exactly the
same. it does not matter if it runs on pc, pda or mobile phone. to
answer your question, yes, obexapp can push "objects" (such as
pictures, vcards, etc.) to obex push capable device (again could be
mobile phone, pc, pda or whatever). i've used obexapp to push vcards
and picture to nokia and sony ericsson phones.

> (I'm sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm not familiar
> with these protocols.)

its ok :) think about it this way: obex is a protocol (think almost
binary http). protocol is a protocol no matter what device implements
it. difference between push and file transfer is that file transfer
allows you to browse/create/change folders, create/delete files, etc.
much like regular ftp client. push only allows you to pull/push
"objects" from/to an "inbox" folder.

>  > > Actually I hoped that someone who owns such a photo frame
>  > > could confirm (or deny) that it works.  Probably too much
>  > > to hope for.  :-)
>  >
>  > yeah, not quite sure why those things are so expensive :) throw in
>  > another $50-$100 and you can get an atom based netbook with 10" screen
>  > (better resolution too) with wifi and bluetooth (on some models).
>
> Yeah, well ...  I've also considered buying a small
> RS-232 controlled display (such as the ones from
> matrixorbital.com) and put an RS232-Bluetooth dongle
> on it.  I understand these are using the SPP profile,
> so it should work with FreeBSD.  On the other hand,
> such a dongle alone is in the $150 range, and it needs
> another power supply which is a PITA ...

wow :) too much moving parts :)

>  > in any case, if you decide to get it, i would be curious to see if it
>  > works. and if it doesn't - i'd be happy to help
>
> I'll think it over.  Thanks for your offer to help!

ok :)

thanks,
max