Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 23:19:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE passwd issue

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> > > I believe the maximum number of characters you can type in is 128.
> > > However, for DES I know only the first 8 characters are
> > > significant. From a _really_ quick look at crypt_md5() source, it
> > > looks like it uses 16. Is that right? I am sure MD5 uses more.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, I think MD5 does use more except is there a reason to not
> > install DES at all?
>
> I had a hard time parsing this sentence. Is there a period missing
> after the "execpt?"

	No... I was asking like would the other have any advantages.

> MD5 does use more characters. MD5 is unquestionably the more secure
> option for that reason and others. DES has U.S. export restrictions
> attached to it (the reason the MD5 password method was developed at
> all). That's a "reason" for people outside the U.S. not to use it,
> they cannot get it in the standard FreeBSD distribution.

	That's true but there is a non-US DES that's not subject to the
export restrictions for FreeBSD.

> As for whether someone in the US would prefer to or not to use it, the
> only reason to use DES is for compatibility with other systems that
> only use DES (e.g. my machines using NIS at the office fall into that
> category). Other than that, I really don't know of a good reason.

	Hmmm, or maybe the reason of certain software needing it.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]