Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 23:50:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
To:        SpaceAce <exodus@sentex.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i screwed up

> Allo,
>
> 1.7 gig harddrive can i run win 95 on half and freebsd on the other?

Yes.  You need to either
A   shrink your win95 partition with FIPS (at freebsd site)
    or with the commercial package Partition Magic (WONDERFUL!!!!)
B   fdisk and repartition your HD fron scratch.

Freebsd cannot run off of a dos (FAT) partition so it needs its own.

> if yes could ya tell me how to do this and in the freebsd install it asks
> where i'm installing from (Cd, disks, etc.) which do i choose? i only have

if you have an internet connection (ppp,lan) you can install from there
by selection FTP install and installing over the internet.
otherwise if you have a cdrom and freebsd likes it (some ATAPI (IDE)
cdroms are hated.. :(  ) you can buy FreeBSD on CDROM from Walnut Creek.
I think it runs about 20-25 + shipping which is very reasonable compared
to the $90 Win95.  Plus the best support I have ever gotten was off the
FreeBSD mailing lists.
It is very nice and comes with a book on how to install and run freebsd.
(I recommend this highly!!!!)

> the boot disk that's on your page...please get back to me...thnx

The best thing I can tell you to do is to download the manual and read it
or read it online.  www.freebsd.org.

This is for your sake because I cannot remember all the steps it takes to
install off the top of my head.  Remember this.  It is much easier after
you do two or three installs.  The first one hurts a little.

Also if you have any questions please post then to questions@freebsd.org
this is not because I don't like answering mail it is that this is my dead
week and finals start next week so I don't know how much mail reading I
will be doing.  :(

Good luck.  Hopefully you will need very little