Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 01:50:55 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        John Cavanaugh <john@bang.rain.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: another record

David Greenman wrote:

John wrote:
> >Looking at the stats that you've posted recently, it looks like the
> >FreeBSD directories always get a lot of traffic, but when some new
> >first person shooter (or in this case, 3rd person shooter - Heretic II),
> >comes out, those directories traffic goes through the roof.  Do you
> >think it would be better to carve off certain sections of the main archive
> >for bandwidth reasons?
> >
> >What solution do you think is the best?  Thanks.
>
>    I'm not sure what we're going to do about the games demos. It really
> bothers me that game companies are getting so much of our bandwidth to
> promote their products, while leaving WC CDROM to pay the bill.

	As one of the members of the "cabal" that was responsible for moving
the id games archive to cdrom.com I feel compelled to speak. :)  We've
always been grateful for the support that Walnut Creek has provided us,
and have tried to be good netizens with the promotion of our world wide
mirror network. They've been very generous with disk space, time for
administrative tasks, and other forms of support. At the same time our
archive has always brought a lot of attention to cdrom.com, and we're
still easily in the top 10 of the download stats, often in the top 5.
Not to mention the cdroms of our stuff that they sell. It's been a good
partnership all the way around.

	In the last several years as they've had a chance to catch up with the
phenomenal explosion of interest and enthusiasm for their games that
happened over the internet, id software has taken primary responsibility
for their own internet services, so the mirror at cdrom.com is more of a
business partnership than ever before.

	There are several fascinating elements involved in the growth of
popularity of Doom and its successors as they entwined with the growth
and popularity of the internet itself. If not the first, Doom was
certainly the first major commercial success in the gaming world that
was due in large part to the fact that a fully functional version of the
game was given away on the net. While I can't speak for the other games
represented at cdrom.com, those of us who've been involved in Doom and
id games' presence on the internet from the beginning are justifiably
proud of our record as netizens.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***