Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:55:41 -0500
From:      Richard Scranton <scrantr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony Vaio Z505JS Configuration

I have a working 4.1R kernel config for the Z505JS Vaio from Sony that I'm
willing to share.  Point a web browser at:

        http://home.netcom.com/~scrantr/Z505JS.txt

The SuperSlim notebooks make a really slick portable FreeBSD platform.
USB is supported for both mouse and floppy diskette, as is sound.  The config
file includes the necessary incantations for parallel ZIP and PCCard SCSI
(Adaptec 1460) to operate a Panasonic portable CD drive.  Unsupported are
the wretched winmodem and the firewire controller.  Suspend/resume works
if you apply the 3 patches mentioned in the mailing list archives.  As posted,
the config file includes Warner's winmodem placeholder driver, which does
recognize the device and announce its unsupported status.  Comment out
that line if you don't feel like applying the patch.  The SysV IPC lines are
dinked a little to accomodate running Sybase's FreeBSD port for v11.0.3.3,

Miscellaneous oddities about this system:

This entry in rc.conf gets the GlidePoint "tap" working like a button-1 click.

moused_type="auto"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_flags="-3 -m1=4"

You will want to use SysMouse on this computer so that the external USB
mouse with 3 buttons and center wheel works correctly.  Alter usbd.conf
as below, install imwheel form packages, and add the line "imwheel" to
your .xsession or .xinitrc file.

device "Mouse"
    devname "ums[0-9]+"
    attach "/usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/${DEVNAME} -z 4 -I /var/run/moused.${DEVNAME}.pid"

PCCards are more reliable if the memory start is moved to 0xd4000.
There is some issue with the size of the video BIOS that is not correctly
detected by the stock X server.  This is also set in the above linked
kernel config file.

pccard_enable="YES"
pccardd_flags="-z"
pccard_mem="0xd4000"
pccard_conf="/etc/pccard.conf"

Alter the XF86Config file as below to get the X server running.  The chipset
is not quite recognized, and XFree86 picks the wrong fallback choice.  The
Chipset and VideoRam entries are the important ones to add.

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "neomagic"
    VendorName  "neomagic"
    BoardName   "256xl"
    VideoRam    4096
    Chipset     "NM2200"
EndSection

As always, thanks to all on the FreeBSD team that make my job easier by
building an extraordinary tool.