Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:51:59 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading and updating .... extremely complicated for me.

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:59:02PM -0700, Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> i thought it was only a matter of cvsup-ing the sources and then running
> the "current" rebuilding the kernel.
>
> now i find that i need to do this "make world" stuff and edit my make.conf
> file... which is much too complicated for me.  unfortunately, the handbook
> isn't helping too much.  btw... the "make world" is giving me the
> following errors:

I've just looked thru' the Handbook:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

and it doesn't say anywhere that you should do a "make world". In fact
the Handbook recommends against it. If you're not comfortable with
reading the stuff in the Handbook, perhaps you shouldn't be thinking of
going with -stable.

Going with -stable means you must be willing to read the instructions,
and the Handbook is *THE* source. If you find any parts you don't
understand, let us know.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>