Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:55:41 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, Bart Silverstrim <bsilverstrim@tsd.k12.pa.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named core dump

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 07:07:58PM +0200, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:57:50AM -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> > > [ named dumps core ]
> >
> > Somebody is trying to get into your machine, upgrade to 8.2.3. See also
> > ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01:18.bind.asc
>
> And if they weren't fools, they already got root access..

Okay, I've seen enough of these e-mails to want to do something about
it.  Normally, I'd write up an FAQ entry about it, but that doesn't
seem quite right in this case since it's so time-sensitive; i.e.,
after a while nobody will ask this stuff (hopefully).

Anyone have any suggestions on a course of action?  I'd like to
document this somewhere we can point people at, but the FAQ doesn't
seem the right place for it.  Besides, if someone doesn't read the
advisories, they probably don't read the FAQ, either, so all it'd be
is an RTFM pointer (yes, we already have the advisory, but I think
something that answers this "code dump" question directly is in
order).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

					Dima Dorfman