Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 16:00:53 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: More on VM, swap leaks

"Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com> wrote:
>>Greg Lehey writes:
>>>So, here I am, three Emacsen later, all stopped, and I have 5 MB less
>>>swap than before.  Can anybody else reproduce these results?
>
>>I decided to test this out. I can start both emacs and xemacs with NO
>>failures at all. And not one additional block of swap gets allocated.
>>I must in all fairness note that I already had about 16 MB of swap in
>>use.

>If I'm not mistaken, generally when a process has pages allocated on
>swap, those don't ever get removed from swap until the process exits.
>So, just because you quit emacs and opened up a big memory hole where
>other processes could run again, doesn't mean those other process'
>swap pages will get deallocated.

>Sure, John may have checked in a swap bug or two
>with his recent changes.  But the behavior sounds a whole lot more
>like standard Unix swap behavior to me.

I have to agree with this analysis of the swap behaviour.

My under-achieving test box has been compiling for 48 hours now.  It has
4Mb ram, 17Mb swap (9Mb used), NFS mounted /usr/src and /usr/obj.  It is
slow :-) but stable.  This is with source dated 1996-06-03 09:15:34, including
version 1.98 of pmap.c and version 1.36 of vfs_cluster.c.

I do not see any swap loss or ram loss, and any leak must be awfully slow not
to have killed it by now.

During the previous VM mega-commit (and subsequent instability) I suffered
subtly corrupted binaries, and a number of problems went away only when I
recompiled everything.  I would recommend 'make all install' plus rebuilding
emacs.

For me, the problems of the current VM mega-commit seem to be over.  Until
the 1.98 version of pmap.c, my test box would collapse after only a few
minutes of compiling.  Now it is a powerhouse of snail-speed computing! :-)

Stephen.