Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 17:27:11 -0700
From:      "Jason McReynolds" <mcreynja@mailbox.orst.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   domain/name server setup problems

I'm new to FreeBSD and I admit that I don't know it all that well (I would
like to think that I have a basic understanding of what I am trying to do
though, correct me if I'm wrong =) ...)

Anyway, I am trying to set up a domain with a web server, mail server, and
name server, for fun and to learn (it may come in useful someday). I have a
primary and secondary name server up and running ( I used Greg Lehey's book
"The complete FreeBSD" and various web sites to help me get these up and
running). I also have apache running on one of the servers. As far as I can
tell these work fine. Although I am having problems setting up a pop3 mail
server. If I do a nslookup on my host computers, everything comes up fine,
but if I try to do a nslookup on just my domain name (i.e. mydomain.com)
nothing shows up. Shouldn't something show up?? (the ip address for my dns
server???) I thought this was taken care of when I defined my domain in my
name server setup. Well, back to the pop3 mail server problem. I can
retreive any mail that I have on my server (remotely) but if I try to send
mail I get the following error: (I'm using outlook express in win2000)

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was
'jason@borderpatrolclan.net'. Subject 'test from remote jason bpclan',
Account: 'mail.borderpatrolclan.net', Server: 'mail.borderpatrolclan.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 <jason@borderpatrolclan.net>... Sender
domain must exist', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error
Number: 0x800CCC78

I'm not sure what the problem might be. I am using cucipop and as far as I
can tell it is working fine (except for sending mail). Can anyone help me,
or direct me to a site with more info about my problem?

Thanks,

Jason