Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:55:50 +1000
From:      bsd-freak@mbox.com.au
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP Traffic monitoring

Hiya all,

I'm after a utility (preferably console based, but an X app will do if
it does the job) to monitor the amount of traffic received by hosts on
my network segment. It would be good if it could also generate useful
statistics such as "top ten hosts visited" (by traffic and by
connection). I can do this with http/ftp traffic by analysing proxy
server access logs but I need to do this for other types of traffic. I
imagine such a utility would in promiscuous mode on a network segment. I
have tried iptraf but was not that impressed with it, a bit too simple
for my liking. I don't use a sniffer as I don't need the actual packets,
I just need to know how much traffic is going and where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... :-)