Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:18:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_wi with dhclient problem

> In message: <200203150034.g2F0Ypc49439@ns.altadena.net>
>             Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net> writes:
> : > Just curious... you said you had an fxp0 in this machine.
> : >
> : > Try "ifconfig fxp0 down" before doing the "dhclient wi0".
> :
> : This has never been needed before last week.  It apparently is needed
> : if I use IPX but I don't.  And, adding an IP address (*any* IP addr)
> : to the wi0 before dhclient makes it work even without downing the
> : fxp.  I think there is a (new) feature to if_wi that won't send any IP
> : packet if it doesn't have an address yet.
> :
> : (The other case where downing the fxp has been needed is if it had an
> : address and default route before inserting the wireless card.  However
> : that isn't the case here either; I'm starting from a fresh boot).
>
> Since ifconfig fxp0 down fixes this problem for me, I doubt it is a wi
> driver problem.  I suspect that it is an intended side effect of some
> more restrictive checking that's done in the network layer.

Another interesting note: either "ifconfig wi0 10.0.0.1" or
"ifconfig fxp0 0.0.0.0 delete" (not necessarily all the way down) also
fixes "dhclient wi0".

And "dhclient fxp0" done first works independently of having an address
first; this is why I didn't suspect anything in the ip stack.

The first (involving only wi0) suggests a fix to dhclient :-)

My real point is that "dhclient wi0" needs to be independent of *anything*
on any other interface.  And, there *are* cases where one wants dhcp on
more than one interface (or, for example, the in-between case like a
cable-modem where there is a permanent addr on one interface and dhcp
on another)...  The "ifconfig ... down" suggestion is OK as a workaround
but NOT permanently (though I do have a different workaround that does
involve only wi0, just set an IP address (*any* IP address) on it.)  However,
as a permanent solution it belongs IN dhclient, not in addition.
Is there a "pre" script or a "pre" invocation of the dhclient-script?  If
so there is an easy place to put such a fix.

> Warner

-- Pete