Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:21:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS resolution failures wtih NIS??  Help...

> >   I decided to start using NIS between a couple FBSD boxes, and overall things
> > are going well with one big exception.  Seems if an IP address connects to
> > my server that won't resolve, then NIS hangs the session and I end up with
> > stacks of sendmail and ftpd's that just pile up till the box gets overloaded
> > with processes.. :(
>
>   Second, make sure you are not using NIS for host resolution, then NIS
> will not even be queried.  It is bad idea unless you distribute /etc/hosts
> via NIS, which is not a such good idea in the era of DNS anyhow.
>
> Tom
> Uniserve

 Is there some special trick to making it not do host resolution, as I have
no need to do this.

In /var/yp/Makefile, I commented out the one entry that I thought may have
controlled that, if there is something elese I need to do could you point me
in the right direction.

Here is the line I was talking about:

# The following line encodes the YP_INTERDOMAIN key into the hosts.byname
# and hosts.byaddr maps so that ypserv(8) will do DNS lookups to resolve
# hosts not in the current domain. Commenting this line out will disable
# the DNS lookups.
#B=-b

---
Howard Leadmon - howardl@abs.net - http://www.abs.net
ABSnet Internet Services - Phone: 410-361-8160 - FAX: 410-361-8162