Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:19:48 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Andrei Cojocaru <spinlock_lists@empirequest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Counting the clock cycles

* Andrei Cojocaru <spinlock_lists@empirequest.com> [020717 12:02] wrote:
> I was asking around in #freebsdhelp on EFNet what the equivalent of
> GetTickCount() in the Win32 API is in FreeBSD.
>
> I need a way to properly determine passage of time that is not affected if I
> change the system clock for example. The only way I'm aware that you can do
> that is by counting the number of clock cycles since system startup. What
> function does that in FreeBSD? I'd also like a Linux way if possible. (that
> is a way that will work across all UNIX clones). Thanks and please include
> my email in the reply directly since I'm not signed up to this mailing list.
> Thanks once again.

I don't see a platform independant way of doing this, sorry.

Have a look at the source for w(1).

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.bin/w/w.c

Look at the function pr_header(), it uses SYSCTL to grab system
uptime.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/