Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:08:29 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Omer Faruk Sen" <ofsenfreebsd@yahoo.com>, "Odhiambo Washington" <wash@wananchi.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <drinkster3@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Alcatel ADSL/USB problems

> > | I'm working on setting up ADSL via USB on a
> > FreeBSD box.  At the moment it
> > | connects and then after around 4 seconds drops the
> > connection and reconnects
> > | successly, unless I have processes using the
> > connection.  This is my
> > | ppp.conf.
> > |
> > | default:
> > | ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
> > | set log Phase Chat IPCP CCP tun command
> > | adsl:
> > | set authname <login>
> > | set authkey <password>
> > | set device !"pppoa2 -vpi 0 -vci 38 -v 1"
> > | accept chap
> > | set speed sync
> > | set timeout 0
> > | enable lqr
> > | set lqrperiod 5
> > | set redial 15 10000
> > | set dial ""
> > | set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0
> > 0.0.0.0
> > | add default HISADDR
> > |
> > | Any ideas?
> >
> > Try this in your rc.conf:
> >
> > ppp_mode="ddial"

> Demand dialing has nothing to do with that 4 seconds
> problem. I have read somewhere that that is the
> problem of that driver in FreeBSD. I suggest you to
> use linux speedtouch driver thus a linux box as your
> gateway. I have also read somewhere that Linux driver
> has buffer overflows. I don't know if that is solved
> :)

No, you don't need to do that - i've got it working no problem on my
computer using the USB ADSL slug thing and the BT Openworld ADSL service in
the UK....

I'd give you my ppp.conf details, but unfortunately my box has gone offline
due to some sort of hard drive failure, and i'm at the other end of the
country until the start of next week so can't sort it out......grrr.

Nevertheless, using the latest version of the drivers and pretty much
exactly what was suggested in the BSD example ppp conf file that came with
the drivers, it worked fine.

Mark