Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:30:00 +0500
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        "'S Roberts'" <sroberts84@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Compatible Modem?

Short answer:
Internal modems bad, external modems good.

Long(er) answer.

I've experienced nothing but misery with internal modems. Even the
old-school isa non-pnp ones...not worth the extra headaches..External
modems, on the other hand, just plugem in, point fbsd to the right port,
and away you go! I've had good luck with D-link and 3Coms. Although my
3Com (quite a new model, not sure which) does not have a telephone out
to plug a phone in. Annoying, but works otherwise.

Cheers.