Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 17:28:06 -0700
From:      Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shell scripts, file descriptor, and pw

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 07:00:41PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
: Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net> types:
: >
: > I'm trying to write a shell script using 'pw' that uses the '-h fd'
: > option to lets you securely send a password to the program via a file
: > descriptor.
:
: You don't create them, you just use them. You need to know that 0, 1
: and 2 are stdin, stdout and stderr, respectively.

After reading your examples, I understand much better now.  I was stuck
in the mode of getting a file descriptor from some open()-ish function.
I'll probably be using your last example using a here document.  Thanks
for the quick lesson!  :-)

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net