Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:43:33 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 5.1 - SUN's CD-ROM

	Final chapter for those interested.  The story so far:  Sun's
CD-ROM of StarOffice 5.1 for Linux does not install directly for FreeBSD.
You need to follow Ken McGlothlen's instructions on:

	http://www.serv.net/~mcglk/staroffice-install.html

with some mods at Stage 1, concerning Linux libraries (see earlier
posting).

	A further mod is required to Ken's instructions for:

Stage 3:  Finishing the install

Do not use the "soffice" script mentioned in the above document, as it
will not work for the CD-ROM.  You do not need it anyway, since StarOffice
5.1 only installs about 3MB in each user's home directory (not the 160MB
that the script was designed to circumvent).

	That's it.  It now works.  One curiosity, upon which someone may
be able to shed some light:  I installed the CD-ROM on my Linux system (I
can boot to either RedHat 5.1, or to FreeBSD 3.3).  After I run Office5.1
on the Linux system, the characters on the terminals (ALT/CTRL F1, F2,..)
are messed up - things like "$" instead of "a", and so on.  The only cure
is a reboot.  It's appears to be a problem with X messing up the video
card, or something.  I've seen it before on FBSD 2.2.8 when the memory was
specified incorrectly in /etc/XF86Config.  No longer a problem, but I'd be
interested to hear an explanation.

Cheers,

Rob Hurle
	Rob Hurle			     rob@coombs.anu.edu.au
	Connect-A			      Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
	PO Box 13			      Fax: +61 2 6248 8905
	Ainslie  ACT  2602		      Mobile: 0417 293 603
	Australia