Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 00:16:12 +0100
From:      Dermot McNally <dermot@mcnally.de>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE connection almost working

At 00:53 06.02.2000 +0000, Brian Somers wrote:

> > dsl:
> >   set device PPPoE:ed0
> >   set mru 1492
> >   set mtu 1942
>
>Spot the deliberate mistake... hence the warning in the log :*]

Yup, I spotted that too afterwards. Fixing it cured the warning, as you'd
expect, but had otherwise no effect.

> > 23:14:41.096562 0:0:e8:4f:be:4b Broadcast 8863 32: PPPoE PADI v1, type 1,
> > sess 0 len 12 [Service-Name] [Host-Uniq 004888c0]
> > 23:14:41.141794 0:d0:c0:f9:b6:23 0:0:e8:4f:be:4b 8863 67: PPPoE PADO v1,
> > type 1, sess 0 len 47 [Service-Name] [Host-Uniq 004888c0] [AC-Name
> > MUNC12-nrp2] [AC-Cookie 372992470f60c417cd68e17dcde89eb4]
>
>This is the sort of thing I get when testing locally - the -current
>tcpdump looks a bit different as it's been upgraded and the tcpdump
>people added pppoe support (they mustn't have liked the look of my
>output :-):

Some people are just fussy - your output beats what was there before.

>So as you can see, the local side *should* be sending a PADR.

That's what I would have thought. One difference between us is that the
PADO in your case specifies a service name, whereas mine doesn't (nor does
my PADI, because I don't know what name to use...).

>I don't really know why the PPPoE node isn't responding to the PADO.
>it looks good from here.
>
>Are there any odd looking kernel messages on your console or in
>/var/log/messages ?

[checks] Nope.

Right, I think I'll do the following:

* Assume that MAC Address affinity isn't the problem - if it was, I
probably wouldn't get a PADO, right?

* Update the box to current. I wanted to do it anyway, and it'll bring my
configuration a little closer to yours.

* If I really have to, I'll try packet-sniffing a working connection from
Windows. This will be a pain, because the "modem" Telekom supplies is
intended to connect direct to a NIC, so to connect it correctly to a hub
requires a crossed over cable that I don't currently have. Still, if we
don't get anywhere by other means, I'll try this route. It will at least
tell me if the official software specifies a service name in its PADI.

Thanks for the ideas (not to mention the software),
Dermot