Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:53:11 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Wm Brian McCane <root@mccons.maxbaud.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem installing on T20

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> Wm Brian McCane wrote:
> >
> > I have an IBM T20 laptop that I want to run FreeBSD on.  I have run
>
> [etc]
>
> You have a problem which is technically called an "IBM laptop". IBM, in
> their infinite wisdom, decided to hibernate on the first partition it
> doesn't recognize (hypothesis #1) or on the first partition identified
> as 165 decimal (hypothesis #2). Whatever the case is, when the shitty
> thing boots, the BIOS checks said partition to see if the system had
> hybernated. Upon finding stuff there (the FreeBSD partition), it does
> something which screws the system and locks up.

Well, I can definatively answer one thing.  If you change the partition ID
to 166 and change the boot code to boot from that, then the laptops are just
happy.  Paul Saab has an A20 or A21 something that has this problem and he
changed nothing but the partition ID to 166 and it solved the problem.

As far as I'm concerned, this pretty much clinches the need to provide an
alternate partition id booting capability so that people can enter 166
(openbsd) or 175 (believed free) when sysinstall is doing the setup and
the bootblocks will just deal with it.

Cheers,
-Peter