Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 23:05:18 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        djv@bedford.net, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: disklabels and scsi

Hi Dave,
I think perhaps you are missing my point. I'm not trying to get anything
perfect here.
This is all purely experimental.

I'm trying to discover why the two programs, disklabel, and scsiformat return
different values to me on the one hand, and how to determine what the 'best'
approach is to get a useable total number of cylinders to begin with, on the
other hand.

experimental. purely.

To answer your points though. disklabel -r -w sd1 auto does actually return the
number 4110000 from the hardware, as does scsiformat -r. It also returns fairly
arbitrary sector/track numbers as you mention.
However, running disklabel -r -w /dev/rsd1c C2490A sd1 then proceeds to build a
disklabel that has a total cylinder number that is actually larger than the
disk has. Even when I put the _right_ numbers into the disktab. Which of course
makes it very difficult to work out where the _actual_ end of disk is! unless
you are watching....

In this case _any other number than 4110000_ will not work, even though the
values returned by disklabel are different.

Like I say, purely experimental. I'll get sick of it soon, run it up and forget
it. ! :-)

I just wondered if any one else had been experimenting along similar lines at
all. I guess not.

cheers
Bob

--
  Support Whirled Peas.       Business in China?    China House
  robert@chalmers.com.au      ph:61 7 49440357 fx:61 7 49578425