Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:38:26 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        phk@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rand() is broken

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 19:32:50 +0100, phk@freebsd.org wrote:

> Anyway, last time we discussed this, I think we stuck with the rand()
> we had because we feared that people were using it's repeatable well
> documented sequence of random numbers in regression testing.

As documented, it must be repeatable across the calls for same seed, that
is all. It not means repeatable accross platforms or across different OS
versions. In fact it is already not repeatable across different OS'es, so
regression is limited. Also, regression must not stop bugs fixing progress
in anycase.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/