Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:41:07 -0400
From:      "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+july2001@kew.com>
To:        <jamie@uk.clara.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vinum Mirroring question

I'll take a stab at this one and let the experts correct me.

It's not a bug. If it makes you feel better, it took me 2 days get my
volumes right.  (Because it's not a bug, -stable changed to BCC to migrate
topic to just -questions).

> I have a vinum mirror with the total size supposed to be
> 1024M.
>
> But, here is what df -h reports:
>
> /dev/vinum/mirror   1.9G   1.0K   1.8G     0%
/usr/local/var/nntpcache-map

> which makes it appear as if the disks are striping.
>
> However, vinum reports the following under list:
>
> S mirror.p0.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1023
MB
> S mirror.p0.s1          State: up       PO:     1023 MB Size:       1023
MB

They aren't striping (which would be an interweave of course), but are one
after the other.

> Im confused. Is this a bug or have I set something up wrong? I thought
mirroring
> a drive would allow you to have a partition on one disk drive, and when
its written
> it writes to both drives at the same time.

You didn't put the subdisks in different plexes, so they appended, not
mirrored.  Note how for EACH of my three mirrored volumes, I have a plex on
each physical volume:

# Vinum configuration of sonata.hh.kew.com, saved at Thu Jul 19 09:26:13
2001
drive sonata-d0 device /dev/da0s2g
drive sonata-d1 device /dev/da1s2g
volume var
volume usr
volume export
plex name var.p0 org concat vol var
plex name var.p1 org concat vol var
plex name usr.p0 org concat vol usr
plex name usr.p1 org concat vol usr
plex name export.p0 org concat vol export
plex name export.p1 org concat vol export
sd name var.p0.s0 drive sonata-d0 plex var.p0 len 1048576s driveoffset 265s
plexoffset 0s
sd name var.p1.s0 drive sonata-d1 plex var.p1 len 1048576s driveoffset 265s
plexoffset 0s
sd name usr.p0.s0 drive sonata-d0 plex usr.p0 len 6144000s driveoffset
1048841s plexoffset 0s
sd name usr.p1.s0 drive sonata-d1 plex usr.p1 len 6144000s driveoffset
1048841s plexoffset 0s
sd name export.p0.s0 drive sonata-d0 plex export.p0 len 9031680s driveoffset
7192841s plexoffset 0s
sd name export.p1.s0 drive sonata-d1 plex export.p1 len 9031680s driveoffset
7192841s plexoffset 0s

Of course, my configuration is a little funky because I did share the
physical drives with three vinum volumes.

> # Vinum configuration, saved at Thu Jul 19 10:34:27 2001 - Jamie
> # Mirror
> drive vinumdrive3 device /dev/da3a
> drive vinumdrive4 device /dev/da2a
> volume mirror setupstate
>  plex name mirror.p0 org concat
>   sd name mirror.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive3 size 0b
>   sd name mirror.p0.s1 drive vinumdrive4 size 0b

So you need a mirror.p1 and mirror.p1.s0 not mirror.p0.s1