Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 14:31:41 -1000
From:      "Tom Hippensteele / NTU-HWI" <tom@nissin-hawaii.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Send mail via Netscape(POP) to unix internal mail

Mike may be having the same trouble as me.  I'm trying to use our FreeBSD
box as an outgoing mail server from MS Outlook, but Outlook times out, and
/var/log/maillog contains the following:

May 31 14:04:42 files sendmail[248]: f4VNse900248: lost input channel from
tom.n
issin-hawaii.com [10.2.1.5] to MTA after rcpt

May 31 14:04:42 files sendmail[248]: f4VNse900248:
from=<tom@nissin-hawaii.com>,
 size=0, class=0, nrcpts=1, proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=tom.nissin-hawaii.com
[10.2.1.5]

In this case I was only sending to my account (username) on the FreeBSD
computer
(named "files" for now).  In the long run, the goal is to use an aliases
file to easy
distribution of a biweekly e-letter.  (Which or Domino/AS400 doesn't seem
capable of,
despite the price....)

I guess it doesn't have anything to do with FreeBSD -- I tried the same
setup at home
using Sendmail on TurboLinux, and had the same problem.  I must be
overlooking
something in the setup.  I've done the following:

/etc/mail/access
/etc/hosts
/etc/mail/local-host-names (what's the format?  I just listed locals
line-by-line.)

The local lan PCs aren't listed in our DNS server, but with the hosts
listing,
it shouldn't matter.  I set the PC (Win2000) to identify itself with the
fully-qualified
name ("tom.nissin-hawaii.com" for my Desktop) over the lan.
What else is there?  Any ideas would help...

Tom Hippensteele
Nissin Travel USA, Inc.
TEL (808)973-0475
FAX (808)971-6417