Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 10:09:45 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: More nits

At 9:51 AM 11/6/95, Greg Lehey wrote:
>Richard Wackerbarth writes:
>>
>> >We gotta give these guys a way of installing....
>>
>> I'd rather see us go back to a two floppy boot for this case.
>> Strip the MFS out and put sysinstall on a floppy.
>>
>> Use that much to format the HD and then switch to it.
>
>Great idea.  That way we don't need hundreds of different tiny
>kernels.  Any chance of getting it done for 2.1?

As far as the number of "tiny kernels", I am not sure that even this idea
would solve the problem. However, I know that it will be much easier to
make the required kernel if it is the only file on the floppy and I don't
have to remake the rest of the system to do the custom bootstrap.

As for 2.1, I am sure it is too late for 2.1.0-RELEASE, but I see no reason
why it could not go into -stable immediately thereafter.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net