Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:37:29 -0500
From:      "Shawn Kennedy" <shawnlkennedy@lucent.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   DHCP/DNS question

I'm confused (nothing new :-) as to what changed
in regards to DHCP. Ever since the new DHCP stuff
was folded in back in April, I've had a problem with
DHCP and DNS here at work.  It seems my hostname
is not getting set in the DNS server, but the
IP address is.

Confused?  Me too!

Situation:
----------
I just wiped my box and installed a clean version
from the 4.6 iso disks.  I set up DHCP via sysinstall
so my /etc/dhclient.conf file is empty.  I get
an IP address served to me from the DHCP server.
When perform an "nslookup", the name of my box is
not found and the IP address I get has someone else's
box.  If I ping the IP address from another box, it is
answered by my box.  This is a mostly-windows system
around here, but the Linux guys say it works for them.
It used to work for me as well.

I spoke to the DNS guy and he says it sounds like I'm not
sending the host-name in the DHCP request.

Again, a very generic install on my box.

Any ideas where to start?

Shawn Kennedy