Date:      13 Aug 1997 08:08:16 GMT
From:      nnd@itfs.nsk.su
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make and SMP - what can be done ?

Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>  * You've touched on a topic dear to my heart!  I took a stab at this once
>  * and gave up for lack of knowledge of the .mk system and its subltlies.

> Amen to the first sentence!  I haven't tried looking into this yet, I
> might try after the "new world" dust settles as I'm quite interested
> in this area.

>  * I added JMAKEFLAGS= -j12 to /etc/make.conf, then added JMAKEFLAGS
>  * to some of the lower level Makefiles, like the ones for libraries.
>  * This worked nicely.  I found other Makefiles that just needed a little
>  * more work on the dependancies, they sometimes need to be more explicit
>  * in a parallel world. Things with YACC & LEX passes die horribly.

	My first result from some experiments in this area
was just sended as a PR about inconsistent make behavior -
it treats -j12 flags differently in various command line positions -
i.e. before or after some variable definitions.
	I doubght that this is "a feature" and not "a plain bug",
so I hope that somebody will observe and commit applied to PR fix.

P.S. Looking at make's work with -j12 flag gives me strange feelings
about intentions of author(s) of such an "extension" to traditional
make behavior ;-) Is there any papers/READMEs on this topic ?

P.P.S. Due to the fact that majority of Makefiles expect traditional
make behavior and work with "make -j12" only by incident (:-)
can we consider "make -j12" behavior as "undefined" in some areas
and make it more "compatible" with traditional make - f.e.
to make command line supplied targets evaluation strictly
sequentional ? Or will this make us "unreasonably uncompatible" ?
(with what ?)

	N.Dudorov