Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 2000 18:47:20 +1200
From:      "Sarton O'Brien" <roguetr@patho.gen.nz>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Apache Basic Authentication

Howdy,

This probably isn't the place to ask this, I apologise if so.

I am trying to enable Basic Authentication on a directory.
The .htaccess file reads:

AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/home/roguetr/public_html/etc/htpasswd.users
AuthName "Sammy.quicksilver.net.nz"
require valid-user

The htpasswd.users file was created using htpasswd.

These files are replicas (except for the specified file locations) of a
setup that works. In these circumstances however, nothing seems to
happen.

Apache is 1.3.11 with php4 compiled in. I have seen at least 3 types of
auth mod in the conf file. Everything else seems to work fine so I'm
assuming it has something to do with the way I'm trying to enable it
rather than a problem with the server.

Could any replies please be CCed to this address. Thanks for any help.
This mailing list is a life saver.

Sarton O'Brien