Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:17:22 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: browsers [was: Re: linux-netscape6 gives segmentation fault??

hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu> types:
> > Argh... *sigh*
> > I can't tolerate 4.7... any recommendations for another browser?
> I actually use lynx for most of my daily browsing.  I put the linbe
> EXTERNAL:http:xterm -T lynx -geometry 80x50 -e lynx %s & : TRUE
> in /usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg
>
> so that it launches extra instances when I hit . on a link so
> that I can read the newssites the way I prefer.  I'm still working
> on color; I may need to recompile from the ports for this, and
> for persistent cookies (for the 3 domains that I let have them :).
>
> Cookie handling is *much* better than anything else out there.

I seriously doubt that; unfortunately, the best thing I've seen for
cookie handling (and about a dozen other things) I've run into doesn't
run on PC hardware.

I use w3m pretty much the same way you use lynx. I switched when the
lynx port was marked broken for security reasons. w3m has two
advantages over the lynx I was using at the time: 1) table & frame
rendering is better; 2) it has three external browsers. So I have one
that launches an xterm running w3m like you do; one that launches
netscape, and one that adds the link to my hotlist. The downside - no
numbered links :-(.

	<mike