Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:26:49 +1100
From:      Andrew Sinclair <syncman@ihug.com.au>
To:        Gerald Raynor <jerryr73@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can not boot/rc.conf - no vi

On Friday 09 February 2001 11:21, you wrote:
> I made some changes to the "rc.conf" and it seems as
> though I have a syntax error.  I go into "/bin/sh" but
> I have no access to an editor, "vi" or "ee".  I do
> have access to "cp" and "mv" but I am unable to
> copy/move the backup file, I so rarely make, over the
> current "rc.conf".  I am getting the error "Read-only
> file system".
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm running 3.2
> Release.  Thanks!

Your system appears to be running in single user mode. In this mode, only
your root file system is mounted in read only mode for safety. Under
/bin/sh, type the following commands:

# /sbin/mount -u /
# /sbin/mount /usr

This will mount your root file system in RW mode and your 'usr'
partition. Now you may type:

# /usr/bin/ee /etc/rc.conf

--

        - Syncman