Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 14:46:51 -0500
From:      Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PnP modems, etc.

With pointers and prodding from the fine folks on this mailing list, I learned to build a custom kernel configured to Plug and Play devices. Seems to work, and it wasn't too painful. But a question:

In my dmesg, I get these lines:

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: USR1004 [0x04107256] Serial 0x69612786
CSN 2 Vendor ID: TCM5098 [0x98506d50] Serial 0x4b7455f9
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:

What are those lines telling me? And what's my next step in communicating with my modem? How do I know which COM port/IRQ the PnP system put the modem on?

It is a US Robotics (model 5683) "winmodem", so I'd guess the CSN1 line is the modem. What that other thing is on the second line, I don't know. Didn't think I had other PnP devices on this old box! Any way to find out?