Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:05:35 -0500
From:      rkw@shark.dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is it live, or...

>I have a CD-ROM subscription
>and so recently received the 2.1.5 release and added a SCSI controller so
>I can install the live file system.  I'd hoped to be able to free up the
>space taken by the source tree. But if I do this, won't I then lose SUP
>(or CVS) capability? Is the 'live filesystem' CD of any real use to me in
>this configuration?

Yes, you can mount the CD and then build a clone with symbolic links. (see
"lndir" from the X-files) Then as you attempt to update, you will get
errors because the file is "ro". I know that it is a bit of a pain to
remove the link, but a good filter on the output file can automate it.

If there is additional interest in doing this, I might try to arrange for
ctm to do it automatically.