Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 02:36:19 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Omer Faruk Sen <ofsenfreebsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling and installing only changed sources

Omer Faruk Sen <ofsenfreebsd@yahoo.com> types:
> Is there a way of compiling and installing only
> changed sources at cvsup?Or does that break system
> consistency?

You can always do "make" at the top of /usr/src. The first time it
might remake everything, but in the future it will remake only the
things that have changed. I'm not sure how well it deals with changes
in the system include files. This method is really meant for
developers who know what they are doing, though. You might also
consider how the difference in the size of the committer base will
change the length of time that such a thing is actually useful.

The problem is that you're building using the old system include files
and built tools. That's not guaranteed to work. That's what buildworld
does - it builds the build tools and include files, and then uses
those to rebuild the world properly.

"buildworld" and friends are the method least likely to cause problems
with system consistency. Other methods can be used to build the
system, but you should always go back to
buildworld/kernel/installworld before asking for help on any of the
lists.

	<mike