Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 20:13:18 +0200
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ddb

I was thinking of doing some work on ddb, but for all I know,
all the serious developers are doing kgdb anyhow and any changes
wouldn't be much needed ;) I don't have two FreeBSD machines
to do kgdb and I've been spoiled by good powerful debuggers, I don't
feel at home with ddb ;)

How much do you think the following would, or would not be useful?
(from easier to harder).

1. More convenient symbols support, e.g. "sym nfs*" to list all
symbols starting from nfs/_nfs with their values.

2. Encapsulation of traps on entry/exit; i.e. you can't panic by
trying to read nonexistent page in ddb, you can list nonexistent
pages and see '???' values on them.

3. Independence from syscons, and ability to be brought up on
just about hardest crashes, when syscons goes down too.

3.5. A printf-style routine directing to the debugger to print on
its terminal; unlike tprintf/uprintf/kvprintf and friends,
blocking and guaranteed to print everything no matter how often
called. (maybe there's such a beast already and I missed it? pray tell).

4. Intel-style asm listing (yeah, right, flame away).

5. Source-level listing, by having a userland loader program give
sources you're interested in to ddb; ddb would keep them in locked
memory (no pagefaults, debug vm manager).

5. Better integration with the kernel; i.e. change address spaces
inside ddb, intelligent display of important structures (mbuf,
buffer, iostruct, whatever).

Suggestions and flames are welcome.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,