Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:18:04 -0400
From:      David Banning <David@www3.pacific-pages.com>
To:        Matthew West <mwest@uct.ac.za>
Cc:        David@SkytrackerCanada.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: simple php script won't show in netscape

Matthew West wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 09:49:34PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> > only executes a blank screen in netscape.
> If you go View|Page Source (or hit alt-U), what do you see there?

I see the source code (my file - test.php3)

> > 'AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .php' is in httpd.conf
> that's for php_4_ though
The actual lines I have instead are;
    <IfModule mod_php3.c>
        AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
        AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .php3s
    </IfModule>
    #
    # And for PHP 4.x, use:
    #
    <IfModule mod_php4.c>
        AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
    </IfModule>

> > I'm Using FreeBSD 4.0 Stable, and php3
> are you sure it's php3?
yes, I tried php4 first, but having run into the same problem,
and wondering whether it was php4 that was the culprit,
I uninstalled php4 and installed php3

> > Any idea why it's not showing up in my browser?
> Do this:
>
> telnet localhost 80
> then type: "HEAD / HTTP/1.0" and hit Enter twice
>
> you should get something like this:
>  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>  Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:23:49 GMT
>  Server: Apache/1.3.12 (FreeBSD) PHP/4.0RC1
>  Connection: close
>
> The "Server:" bit will at least tell you what version of PHP you've got in
> there.
here's what that got me;

# telnet local 80
# telnet localhost 80