Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:45:28 -0600
From:      "Sean Heber" <sean@bebits.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help!  File systems stop or something!

This has happened 3 times now!  I have no clue what else to do.  I want
 to ship this server
to my hosting provider tomorrow morning and this is very very
 disturbing...

I was logged in on the console and I was looking for a file, so I was
 doing
this from the root:
find . | grep file

It was chugging right along when suddenly disk IO stopped.  I tried
 Ctrl-C
and nothing happened.  I switched to another open session that was
 sitting
at a prompt and I hit enter.  Nothing happened.  A new line appeared,
 but
not the prompt.  I tried again in another session I had open.  Same
 thing.
Then I tried to login again on a final session, and when I hit enter
 after
typing a username, nothing.

All that was running at the time was MySQL (not doing anything), Apache
 (not
doing anything), and my find.

So..  My guess as to what happened is that something killed the file
 system
or the drives or the driver or something.  I found it odd that no
 messages
were sent to the console about it.  FreeBSD didn't even seem to notice.

I reset the box and everything came back up fine..  Later I was in the
process of doing a backup by tarring to a another hard drive when it
happened again.  This time I had top running in another session.  I
 switched
to it and saw that the box seemed to be alive and all was good.  Things
 were
running.  But anything that used disk IO was sitting idle now--including
 tar
and gzip (which should have been backing up).  The same things as before

happened (hitting enter and not getting a new prompt, etc).

I left it this way for a long time (over night) to see if it would come
 out
of it and continue working.  It didn't.  In the morning I had to reset
 it.

Now the strange part is, today I was trying very hard to kill it and
it's was not stopping.  I did the same find as last night, I backed up
 all
my drives onto my backup hard drives same as before.  And I've did all
 this
several times.  Nothing strange happened.

But then the daily.local cron ran (where I have it doing the backup) and
 it locked again.  This is the 3rd time.  This is very critical!

So..  My question here is, WTF?  Any clues at all?

System:
FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE
Dual PII 400 Mhz (SMP kernel, of course)
256 MB Ram
Gigabyte MB (don't remember the model off hand)
Drive setup:
SCSI 6: 4.5 GB IBM (boot)  (/, /usr, and swap)
SCSI 9: 9 GB IBM (used for backup and extra space) (/eddie)
IDE: Bus 1 Master: 37 GB IBM  (/sites)
IDE: Bus 1 Slave: none
IDE: Bus 2 Master: 25 GB IBM (/wowbagger part 1)
IDE Bus 2 Slave: 20 GB WD (/wowbagger part 2)
(Both drives on IDE Bus 2 are concated using vinum and used for backing
 up
and stuff)

The SCSI drive contains the main system and my database.
The first IDE drive contains the main site and files and stuff.
Everything else is used for either backup or overflow space.

I'm not sure if the above drive layout is silly or not, but it seemed
 cool
at the time.. Plus the backup drives were added after the system was
 setup,
otherwise some things would probably have been switched around.  :-)

Anyway, what the heck is the problem?  Any ideas at all?  A deadlock
 case or
race condition or something else?  Running out of allowed open files?
 This
worries me a lot.  I've had the box running fine for a couple weeks now
 and
the day before shipping it acts wacko.

Thanks.
l8r