Date:        Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:45:27 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        def1@iname.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more stuff

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:57:33PM +0000, def1@iname.com wrote:
> a pager is kind of an important utility in an OS,
> and the "more" utility bundled with FBSD seems to
> be lacking in some fundamental and critical ways:
>
> 1. a pathname longer than 79 chars causes "more"
>    to keep the top lines of a file scrolled off the
>    top of the screen cuz the pathname takes more than
>    one line at the bottom of the screen.  the pathname
>    should either:
>
>    a) be truncated to 1 line, or b) "more"'s internal
>    representation of the screen should be decreased
>    by the appropriate number of lines.  "more" as is
>    is basically useless if a pathname is over 79 chars.
>
> 2. "more"'s search algorithm is way way slow.  it takes
>    forever to search for a string in a file of any length.
>    what takes grep a second takes more 5-10 minutes or more.
>
> 3. it would be nice if "more"'s "View" function could make use
>    of standard mailcap, instead of only relying on the EDITOR
>    env variable, so if "*.html" was currently displayed,
>    lynx could be launched or something.
>
> just some stuff that's kinda been annoying for a few years.

Nowadays the 'more' that is supplied with FreeBSD is actually 'less'
and it does work fine with long pathnames (truncating the displayed
pathname.)
It is also reasonable fast at searching so I guess that your points
1. and 2. have already been fixed :-)

As for your point 3. that seems silly. The command launched by pressing 'v'
is supposed to be a text-editor, not a viewer.

What might be useful is a general file viewer that launches different
viewers for different files. ('more' for textfiles, 'lynx' for html-files,
'xv' for pictures, etc.) but that is another thing and more/less should
remain as pure text-viewers IMO.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson