Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:45:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rued Christopher <christor@UG.CS.SUNYSB.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gcc running out of swap space during build...

Let me first start by explaining why this question is being sent to
this list:

I was able to compile the same program on the same machine with the
same amount of swap space and 128 MB less RAM under 3.3-R.  I am now
running 4.2-Stable.

uname -a:
      FreeBSD chris 4.2-STABLE
      FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0:
      Tue Jan 30 10:30:20 EST 2001
      chris@chris:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ROVER
      i386

Now, on to the problem:

When I try to compile XSB (a Prolog programming language), it gets up
to a point where it tries to compile `builtin.c', and then starts
eating up memory at a frightening rate.  Eventually, I run out of swap
space and it dies.

The exact command looks like this:
    gcc -c -O4 -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions \
        -Winline -m486 -ansi -pedantic -Wall builtin.c

Any clue why this is happening?

If you would like to try to compile XSB (for testing this on your own
machine) it is available for download from:
     http://download.sourceforge.net/xsb/XSB-2.2.tar.gz.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

					-Chris