Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:34:37 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        stan@pacblue.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows 98 and FreeBSD

Are you trying to say that you set up a FreeBSD system running Samba as
a domain controller (or possibly as a WINS server)?  If you didn't, then
I don't think FreeBSD has anything to do with your problem.

> Enter Network Password
>
> You must supply a password to make this connection:
>
> Resource:  \\COMPUTERNAME\IPC$ <file://\\COMPUTERNAME\IPC$>

Windows 98 by default uses encrypted passwords, which older versions
of Samba don't support.  I understand that newer versions do, but I
haven't used that feature, so all I can do is offer you that hint.
Reading the Samba documentation should tell you how to configure
support for encrypted passwords.  There is also a Windows 98 registry
setting that will let it use unencrypted passwords.  If you aren't
worried about using them, finding the registry setting and changing
it might be the fastest solution to your problem.

Also, if this is what is going on, it suggests that your NT systems
don't have up to date patches, because (IIRC) the more recent service
packs change NT to default to encrypted passwords as well.  Or my
memory of that is wrong...

> I have a feeling this is a pretty common error, so I'm assuming the answer
> will be simple.

I think it is discussed in detail in the Samba documentation.

> Thanks, hope you can help.

- Bob