Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:30:44 -0400
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pet Theory for World Domination

In message <20000714115258.A804@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Rahul Siddharthan write
s:
> James Howard said on Jul 13, 2000 at 17:44:47:
> > Now hear me out on this.  I just read the OSOpinion discussion of SCO's
> > future and that a Linux company should buy it out.  Forget that, it is a
> > better match for BSDi.  BSDi would then have everything, including a
> > compiler, to build a full Unix without the GPL in the way.  BSDi would
>
> I'm curious: how does SCO's compiler compare with gcc, speed-wise and
> optimisation-wise?  What about the c++ compiler?  And do they have a
> good fortran compiler?  Anyone know?

Heresay and conjectre follows, here be dragons, be warned.

I have heard SCO's beats the pants off every both in compiler performance
and in performance of generated code.  This would seem to make sense since
they are not hot to trot for portability and can genuienly focus on one or
two platforms.

J~