Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:31:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de
Cc:        freebsd-security@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Risk of having bpf0? (was URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system)

Martin Cracauer stands accused of saying:

> >>Evil evil evil.  Definitely never on a public server; bpf lets you do
> >>lots more than just snoop, it makes it possible (easier) to spoof as
> >>well.
>
> As far as I understand, BPF in the kernel is only a risk when someone
> gets root rights, not? In that case, if you don't have BPF in the
> kernel the person in question could also ftp a new kernel and wait for
> the next reboot.

Sure; providing they're in a position to do that.  A suitably paranoid
installation will have measures in place that make it harder (not
impossible, obviously) to replace the kernel on a public system.
(Think network boot from an inaccessible server, for example.)

> What am I overlooking? What makes BPF dangerous as long as noone has
> root access to the machine?

Point.  I think we have to accept that root access will always be available,
and look at steps to reduce the damage that can be caused thereby.

> And in what way can BPF make spoofing easier?

The ability to emit arbitrary network data, subject only to the
framing imposed by the transport hardware.