Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 17:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Michael D. Harlan" <mike@harlanonline.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sending AT commands to modem from commandline ?

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Michael D. Harlan wrote:

> I have an external modem attached to COM2 (/dev/cuaa1).  Everything is in
> good working order and I can connect to it using 'tip' to send it AT
> commands.  My question is this: can I send AT commands to it from the
> command line (or better yet, from a Perl script)?
>
> I tried this:
> 	# echo "ATS0=1" > /dev/cuaa1

The standard program is cu, e.g.,

cu -l /dev/cuaa1

At that point you can type AT and get "OK" back, which means you're
connected.  With AT commands for your modem, you can view the current
setting and the content of nvram.  You can set the default configuration.

As another poster said, calling ppp in interactive mode and typing
term also puts you in direct contact with the modem.

For cu, the "exit" command is ~. (tilde dot).

	Annelise

Actually ppp itself communicates with the modem and you can put
strings in ppp.conf to supplement those already there.

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC