Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:43:04 -0500
From:      "Ted Stockwell" <tstockwell@attbi.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dhcp client and AT&T broadband

I had a problem recently and thought others may be interested
in the fix.  My FreeBSD box using the ISC dhcp client
stopped working with AT&T Broadband.

It turns out that AT&T made a change to their infrastructure so
that there are now so many hops that the TTL on the DHCP
client messages expires before reaching the server.  The client
set the TTL to 16, and it looks like there are at least 18 hops
from my spot on the network.  (most of their customers do not
have a problem because the Microsoft client uses at TTL of 128).

For anyone who is interested, a patch and some notes
are available at:
http://www.visi.com/~tstockwell/dhcp_ttl.html

--
Ted Stockwell,   tstockwell@mesabi-tech.com