Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:05:14 +0100
From:      Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@brutele.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   dummynet traffic shaper

Hi all,

My private network corresponds to the following scheme:

 world    _____________      ed0 _____________________ ed1    _______
---------| cable modem |--------|       router        |------|  hub  |
          -------------         | FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE |       -------
                                 ---------------------         | | |
                                                               | | |
                                                               | | |
                                                              /  |  \
                                                             /   |   \
                                                           box A |  box C

                                                               box B

Since now I used dummynet to shape my traffic in the following way:

	ipfw pipe 1 config bw 50KByte/s
	ipfw add pipe 1 all from box-b.mynet.org to any out via ed0
	ipfw add pipe 1 all from box-c.mynet.org to any out via ed0
	ipfw add pipe 1 all from any to box-b.mynet.org out via ed1
	ipfw add pipe 1 all from any to box-c.mynet.org out via ed1

The above configuration gave satisfying results, effectively limiting incoming
and outgoing bandwidth of boxes B + C to 50 KB/s, and leaving box A
unlimited.

However, such a configuration is always wasting bandwidth, especially when
box A is not using any bandwidth.

Now, I would like to shape my LAN traffic in a better way, always giving the
priority to box A, but without setting any arbitrary bandwidth limit.

After having read ipfw(8), and having browsed some documents on the web, I
am finding out that the solution to my problem is to use dummynet queues,
possibly playing with the weight setting.

However, I am still not understanding precisely how to implement such a
configuration; I especially have problems understanding the 'weight' concept,
and the interaction between pipes and queues.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jean-Yves Lefort