Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:39:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        Mixtim <mixtim@mixtim.homeip.net>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

> Anyone else notice that bikeshed has lost its original meaning and is
> now synonymous with apathy?

Funny the coincidence... I'd deleted the last 7 messages in this thread
without reading them.  I read these last two only because there were only
two in my inbox since the last time I'd checked my email.

> Every discussion now boils down to four groups:
>
>   1. The group in favor of a given proposal.
>   2. The group against a given proposal.
>   3. The apathetic group that keeps talking about bikesheds.
>   4. The group that can't stand discussion and keeps trying to get
>      everyone to shutup.

I challenge you to go back through all the messages in this thread and
classify even 25% in any of the above groups.  I don't hear anyone
agreeing or disagreeing with a proposal.  Almost all fall into category
five.  Classic bikeshed input from people who have not contributed
patches... Did anyone notice that the PATCHES attached to a recent earlier
thread on almost exactly this topic have already been committed and will
be in 4.4?

> Why is it that group 3 is slowly becoming more annoying?

Because you have not been reading this mailing list long enough. :)

I'd argue that apathy (ie. I don't care) is the correct response to this
class of discussion.

 - Tim